Tuesday 22 May 2012

The Perfect Woman

I went to a Christian Women's Conference on 12 May.

The topic was Proverbs 31.

Hmmm, this is a little harder than I thought.  Perhaps I'll just start and then see what comes out.

Well, this was my first CWC.  It was pretty darn good.  I have to be honest though, I thought it would get me thinking more deeply about my role as wife and mother.  Or perhaps give me a longer list of ideas as to how I can improve in these areas, but it didn't.  Maybe it is because I have been thinking about these things for quite some time anyway. 

I came away with some Bible references that I still want to read though.  It has certainly increased my WANT to spend time reading the Word more often.  Just prior to attending I was getting pretty good anyway (and yet just of late I've been slack again, Grrr). I also strengthened a few friendships (well I think so anyway).

If you've read Proverbs 31 you'll know that this woman has achieved perfection, so to speak...

One thing I'm sure all husbands would appreciate from the day was that everyone was told, (probably AGAIN for many women) that the best way to show husbands that you love them is to have sex. Yep, SEX!!  Men are so completely NOT like women in this aspect.  We need so many other things before we feel loved, which can lead to sex, but men just need sex.  THEN they feel loved. Sigh...  It would be soo much simpler if we needed the same things.  There might be a little less falling asleep on the lounge, then being wide awake when they drag themselves into bed, and a little more "let me clear away after dinner for you & give you a massage with no strings attached" type activities.  Yeah I know, I'm dreaming.  LOL.

Anway, there were a couple of talks, then a time for small groups to have a bit of a chat and to put on paper any questions we had for the panel.  (Yes, the sex thing came up again in question time.)  I had spent the day sitting in the "breastfeeding section" so was speaking with other young Mums.  I think it would have been nice to listen to what some older womens opinions were too though.  That sounds awful.  I don't mean OLD, I just mean older than me.  At a different stage of life I guess.  How do they see themselves comparing to this version of perfection.  Do they strive for it?  Did they ever try to get there? What advice or wisdom could they impart on me??

I spoke to a few women the following day about the Conference but didn't really get onto this.

So I know I have mentioned that I crave time with the Lord and with His word but I feel like I need more.  A friend suggested that perhaps I need to approach the ministers wife and ask if she or someone else within the congregation could act as mentor for me.  After attending the CWC I felt so inspired and uplifted that there were so many Christian Women out there.  I can't imagine the turnout if I were to go to one in Sydney.  It really was encouraging!  

I haven't done it. Yet. Still.  The finding-a-mentor I mean.  I don't want to be a burden on anyone.  I don't know how to ask.  I'm confused.  I think my kids know more about the Scriptures than I do.  I guess I'm a bit embaressed.  Everytime I come close to asking I chicken out, or it doesn't seem appropriate, or I feel I've already used up too much of valuable time (of whoever I'm speaking with).  I guess I will get to it one day.  In the mean time, I'll keep reading His word for myself.  Might even pinch all the kids bibles off them & start there.

Bye for now, K




1 comment:

  1. Maybe you could even ask the minister's wife for ideas about who would be interested in mentoring you? My husband is currently being mentored and he really appreciates the encouragement, and it helps him to be held accountable for his reading/praying and fathering/relationship with me.

    Don't be embarrassed!! You have made a very good impression on many people and I am sure anyone would be keen to help!!

    ReplyDelete