Friday 9 March 2012

Baked Tomato and Basil Gnocchi (with Bacon)

I have seen lots of recipes for gnocchi and I've looked at this recipe several times, but something was always holding me back.  I think it was the stories I've heard from others about how gnocchi goes tough if not cooked "just right", so I'd always avoided it.

I decided enough was enough & dove into this recipe from the Planning Queen at Planning with Kids.  She also has a facebook page if you're interested.

INGREDIENTS
750g gnocchi
500mls pasta sauce
I also added 4 rashers of middle bacon
1 onion
2 gloves garlic
300mls cream (I used light cooking cream)
2 tbsps olice oil (I omitted this)
3 tbsps fresh basil
90g sun dried tomato
approx 100g fresh grated parmesan cheese

METHOD
Bacon, onion & garlic
Boil water for pasta
Finely chop onion & basil
Dice bacon (rough large dice)
If you don't use the bacon you'll need to add oil to a large frying pan (but there's enough fat in the bacon to not need it)
Add bacon, onion & garlic and cook for several minutes, until the bacon is almost done & the onion has softened
Cream has been stirred in
Add sun dried tomatoes
Add pasta sauce to frying pan and turn heat down slighlty. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Add cream to frying pan and mix well. Turn heat up slighlty to allow to bubble then reduce heat and allow sauce to thicken.
Add basil
Place gnocchi into boiling water as per instructions on packet!
Turn grill to high heat
Drain gnocchi
Drained gnocchi
Add gnocchi to the frying pan and combine wellPour contents of pan into a lasagne dish, even out as required
Cover with parmesan cheese and place under grill until cheese has melted
Serve with warm garlic bread or garlic pizza
ENJOY!


Like the Planning Queen say, it's not a very interesting dish to photograph, so you can see her photo of the finished product by following the link.  It was YUMMY though.  I'll definately be cooking this again.  I might add other vegies or meat next time too.

Bye for now, K



No comments:

Post a Comment